Shoop, Dauphin County, East Pennsylvania, 25km NE Harrisburg, 150km NW Philadelphia.
George Gordon discovered 1930s, looted and collected since.
6500 know, 3500 documented lithic artifacts and flakes. Including stone tools, flakes, projectile points. Over 80 years!
A suspected 98% of sites paleoindian artifacts were made from Onondaga chert. Quarried at Divers Lake. Located 40km west of Buffalo (or about 300km NW of site)
1st scholarly report published in 1952, was only 3rd known paleoindian locality east of the Mississippi River.
Situated on eastern half of 375000 hectare lower Susquehanna river-Penns creek watershed.
Site lies in, small, upland valley, less than 1km north of the divide between two Susquehanna tributary streams (Armstrong creek in north, Powell creek in south). Region is complex in physiogeographic terms.
Following the pre-neolithic glacial retreat. Regional geographic changed from open parkland tundra (spruce, pine, fir, interspersed with grasses, sedges, heath species and shrubs), to a boreal forest dominated by white pine and white birch; though locally slopes were dominated by spruce and pine, and level areas had grasses and species like Oak. A spring on SE margin supplied water year round.